Finance and Administration
What We Do
The Office of Finance and Administration manages the administrative functions of the University of Alabama System Office including financial operations, information technology, and human resources. In addition, the Office administers System-wide investment activities and treasury cash management, including the pooled endowment fund and operating cash reserves, assisted by an Investment Advisor.
The Office is a liaison with the System campuses and the UAB Health System for all Board committee matters for Finance, Investments, Physical Properties, Compensation, and Athletics. Primary functions include coordinating the preparation of annual operating budgets and financial reports to the Board and overseeing the revolving five-year capital plan and annual updates for all physical plant construction and renovation projects and associated debt issuances.
The Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration serves as a Director on the Board of the UAB Health System and other affiliated foundations as designated by the Chancellor.
Photo courtesy of Charles Beck
Instructions for Contracts Requiring Board Approval
Per Board Rule 406, the Board must approve the following contracts before the same are binding and effective:
- All contracts for goods and services involving an expenditure of $1,000,000 or more, paid out over the initial term plus any renewal(s), not procured through a competitive process; and
- All consulting and/or professional services contracts involving an expenditure of $250,000 or more, even if paid out over time, and regardless of whether the contracts result from a competitive process.
The following contracts are exempt from this requirement:
- Contracts that are otherwise required to be submitted to and approved by the Board, such as construction and technology contracts;
- Hospital contracts (Subject to heightened contract review under Section VI of BR 406);
- Contracts with publicly regulated utilities;
- Contracts that are otherwise required to be submitted to and approved by the UAB Health System Board; and
- Sponsored Research Grants and Contracts, including associated subcontracts.
The completion of the Contract Submittal Form, filled out in its entirety, will serve as request for Board submittal. You must complete all sections of this form and include the following documentation in order for your contract to be considered:
- Vendor Disclosure Form (must be less than 1 year old);
- Transmittal Memorandum from Senior Administrator; and
- Letter from Campus President recommending the contract and requesting the Board’s consideration of the contract.
Once submitted and reviewed by the University of Alabama System Office, the contract will be placed on the agenda of the next scheduled Board meeting. All submittals must meet the Board of Trustees deadline to be included on the agenda. If the deadline is not met, the item will be considered at the next available Board meeting. Only under extenuating circumstances will a deadline extension be granted. Extensions must be requested by the senior campus or Health System financial officer or other Senior Administrator.
If items are missing or the form is incomplete, you must resubmit the request in its entirety. Upon receipt of the resubmission, a new submittal date will be assigned. It is the responsibility of all submitters to ensure the request is complete before submitting. If typographical errors are found or clarification is needed during the System Office pre-Board review, the System Office, in its discretion, may make changes to the documents without requiring a complete resubmit. No changes will be made without campus or Health System review and/or agreement.
UAB Hospital Heightened Review Contract Request For Approval
The following agreements related to University Hospital must be approved by the System Office before the same are binding and effective, unless the same are subject to a competitive process:
- All contracts for goods and services involving an expenditure of funds of $1,000,000 or more, for the term of the agreement/contract; and
- All consulting and/or professional services agreements involving an expenditure of $250,000 or more, for the term of the agreement/contract.
The Chancellor shall appoint System Office Staff to undertake such review. The System Office shall maintain a web based or other form for such submissions and approvals, and will provide the Board, through its Finance Committee, periodic reports regarding this review of Hospital contracts. The review is limited to a review of potential conflicts of interest. The review is in addition to all campus-required approvals and all requirements of Alabama or other governing bid laws.
Dana Keith Ph.D., CPA
Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
The University of Alabama System Office of Financial Affairs
500 University Blvd E
Tuscaloosa, AL 35404