The University of Alabama System
The total economic impact of The University of Alabama System exceeds $10 billion a year, but the value of our System far surpasses any single financial metric.
The University of Alabama Opens in a new window, The University of Alabama in Huntsville Opens in a new window, and The University of Alabama at Birmingham Opens in a new window, along with the UAB Health System Opens in a new window, together comprise Alabama’s most effective high-performance job engine.
As Alabama’s largest employer with more than 40,000 team members, we are equivalent to the population of a mid-size Alabama city. With combined revenues of $6 billion annually, the UA System ranks alongside the state’s largest corporations.
“The University of Alabama System is an extremely important entity in this state,” Chancellor Fess St. John said. “When you think about the number of students who attend UAH, UAB, and The University of Alabama, and the number of patients treated at our hospitals and clinics, the cutting-edge research being done, and our ability to improve the lives of people in our state and around the nation, it is one of our biggest success stories.
“It’s hard to think of another enterprise in the last 10 or 15 years that has had the success we have achieved,” he added.
Impact studies demonstrate that the UA System represents a high-yielding investment for Alabama, which benefits from double-digit returns on state appropriations. The return is also significant for students, who amass substantially higher lifetime earnings through degrees.
Benchmarks of Excellence
The University of Alabama System is Alabama’s largest higher education enterprise, comprised of three dynamic institutions striving to provide the people of Alabama with regionally and nationally prominent teaching, research, and service programs with a profound impact on our state.
- UA, UAB, and UAH awarded almost 18,000 academic degrees last year, helping fill a growing jobs pipeline for diverse industries. Many of our graduates came to Alabama from other states and plan to remain here to pursue their careers.
- We educate more Alabamians than any other university system in the state or nation.
- As the COVID-19 pandemic reached America’s shores, our researchers were on the forefront of innovation, enabling the UA System to develop one of the most comprehensive health and safety programs in America — one that has been adopted by colleges, universities, and corporations from coast to coast.
- Our institutions consistently rank as Alabama’s research powerhouse, driving innovation and expanding knowledge in fields ranging from health care and space exploration to cybersecurity and automotive manufacturing.
- In fiscal 2019, our faculty and student researchers were awarded $760 million in competitive contracts and grants from public and private entities.
- While the UAB Health System stands as a global biomedical leader, it is best known as a national leader in patient care, research, and training. UAB is the fourth largest academic medical center in the country and the only Level 1 trauma center between Houston and Atlanta.
Mission and Core Principles
The University of Alabama System, an institution of higher education created for learning, exists to improve the lives of everyone we affect through the teaching, research and service rendered by our component campuses and health system.
- Diversity, Inclusion & Respect
We will be the preeminent public system of higher education and health care in the United States.
- Assure that everything we do is for the purpose of improving the lives and health of the citizens of the State of Alabama.
- Make higher education accessible and diverse, prepare our students for success, and meet the workforce needs of the State.
- Be accountable for every dollar we receive while maintaining the highest standards of excellence in every program and endeavor.
- Work to lead a unified approach to improving education at every level in Alabama.
- Work to help lead a unified approach to improving the economy, opportunities, and comprehensive health care for all citizens of Alabama.
- Elevate the status, stature and influence of the University of Alabama System so that we can call on all people devoted to the University of Alabama, UAB, UAH, and the UAB Health System to unite for common purposes.
Approved by The Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama System on April 12, 2019.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Offices
The System promotes opportunities for equal access for all qualified students and values diversity among its students, faculty, staff, and administration.