The purpose of the Office of Academic and Student Affairs (A&SA) is to assist the campuses of The University of Alabama System and other educational entities to achieve excellence in all that they do in the areas of teaching, research, scholarship, service, student affairs, and institutional research by providing professional guidance and support. The office is responsible for reviewing and recommending approval of long-range and strategic academic and student affairs plans. This includes giving staff support to the Academic Affairs and Student Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees. The purpose also includes establishing and maintaining linkages between the System and other educational entities, including the Alabama Commission on Higher Education, the Alabama Department of Education, and the Alabama Community College System.
Iryna Y. Muse
System Student Affairs Council
The purpose of The University of Alabama System Student Affairs Council (SSAC) is to work collaboratively to maximize efficiency of effort to ensure that all students that attend a UAS institution are afforded the best possible chance to succeed while providing a nurturing living and learning environment. The University of Alabama System Student Affairs Council is led by the Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs. The other members of the UAS Student Affairs Council are the campus Vice Presidents for Student Affairs/Life from The University of Alabama, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, and The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Student Affairs Sites
System Academic Council
The purpose of The University of Alabama System Academic Council (SAC) is to provide information and reasoned perspectives regarding academic and student spheres to include:
- review of academic plans, programs, and units;
- approval of earned degrees awarded;
- serve as advocates for each campus and for the System as a whole;
- implement Board policies and continuously review the administration and effect of those policies;
- coordinate all academic functions of the System to ensure an integrated System of related and cooperating campuses with selected coordinated educational programs and services; and
- strengthen the quality of effort in those programs of teaching, research, scholarship, and service for which there is the greatest need in the state.
The University of Alabama System Academic Council is led by the Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs. The other members of the UAS Academic Council are the campus Provosts and Vice Presidents for Academic Affairs from The University of Alabama, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, and The University of Alabama in Huntsville.
Offices of Academic Affairs
UA System Data includes admissions statistics, enrollment and graduation rates, degrees awarded by ethnicity and gender, and other information collected from member institutions.
Since 2008, the UA System Scholars Institute has been hosted each year on a rotating basis by one of the UA System campuses. Scholars Institutes are open to faculty, staff, and administrators from all three campuses. The Scholars Institute supports collaboration among faculty and administration System-wide, and encourages a shared community of knowledge for implementing best practices into the use of technology in the teaching, learning, and research processes.
The Institute is an important professional development initiative for faculty in their use of technology in teaching and learning, particularly in support of the adaptation and use of new approaches to teaching with technology. Further, the Institute focuses heavily on the sharing of best practices across our System-wide community. Presentations emphasize quality, evidence of impact, tools, and pedagogical and practical approaches, with time for colleagues within and among campuses to engage in collaboration and knowledge sharing. The Institute also provides hands-on opportunities for practice and implementation of classroom and online tools.
- A+ Education Partnership
- Alabama Association for Institutional Research
- Alabama Commission on Higher Education
- Alabama Community College Leadership Academy
- Alabama Community College System
- Alabama EPSCoR
- Alabama Math, Science, and Technology Initiative
- Alabama NASA EPSCoR
- Alabama State Department of Education
- Alabama Virtual Library
- American Association of State Colleges and Universities
- American Council on Education
- Articulation and General Studies Committee
- Association for Institutional Research
- Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges
- Association of Public & Land Grant Universities
- Council for Higher Education
- Education Commission of the States
- National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements
- NC-SARA Alabama State Portal Agent
- Network of Alabama Academic Libraries
- Regional Accreditation
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- Southern Education Foundation
- Southern Regional Education Board
- State Higher Education Executive Officers