The University of Alabama System encourages ethical conduct among all employees of the System and its three institutions. Ethics Support is a resource for employees to seek guidance, without fear of retaliation, regarding potential actions or situations that could be considered unethical or a violation of conflicts of interest or other governing standards.
Ethics Support, unlike our Ethics Hotline Opens in a new window, is not an anonymous resource.
Request Support Opens in a new window
About the Process
Ethics Support is a deliberative process. Before finalizing a response to an Ethics Support request, those responses are vetted by a System group. Please allow time for such consideration.
Ethics Support is part of the Board’s continuing efforts to strengthen and support ethical, compliant, and risk-aware practices among UA System institutions.
As with any such resource, there are limitations to Ethics Support:
- Ethics Support does not constitute personal legal advice.
- Ethics Support is not intended to supplant the Alabama Ethics Commission’s opinion process. If you wish to seek a specific opinion from the Commission, please visit the State of Alabama Ethics Commission Opens in a new window.
- Ethics Support is limited by the information that the employee provides. No employee should use Ethics Support while withholding key pieces of information that may inform the advice.
- Your supervisor may have departmental rules that are more strictly enforced than that of State Law or Board Policy. It is up to you to consult with your supervisor.
- If you are not an employee of The University of Alabama System or its institutions or would like to anonymously seek guidance or report a violation, you can do so by calling The University of Alabama System Anonymous Reporting Hotline at (866) 362-9476 or filing a report online Opens in a new window.