The McMahon-Pleiad Prize honors Trustee Emeritus John J. McMahon Jr. and recognizes his family’s contributions to The University of Alabama System and our state. The prize of $75,000 will be awarded to an eligible member of the faculty or staff of UA, UAB, UAH, and UAB Medicine.
The preferred goals of the McMahon-Pleiad Prize are to fund worthy projects that will have lasting and substantial impact upon UA System institutions, especially projects that will incentivize innovation and promote the integrity and excellence of the System. This includes funding salaries and/or sabbaticals of employees who will lead or support the project.
Further information on Trustee Emeritus McMahon and the legacy of the McMahon family’s leadership may be found in the resolution adopted by the Board of Trustees.
- The Selection Committee is comprised of the Chancellor, campus presidents, and the CEO of the UAB Health System (or their designees).
- Anticipated Timeline:
- July 16, 2021 – All applications received
- August 2021 – Selection Committee chooses recipient and notifies applicants of the results
- September 17, 2021 – McMahon-Pleiad Prize recipient is recognized at the Board of Trustees’ Annual Meeting
- The Committee will evaluate the applications in accordance with the terms of the Board Resolution establishing the Prize.
- Prize awards may be taxable based on IRS regulations.
The deadline for applications is July 16, 2021. The application must include the following information:
- Two-page project summary including a statement of purpose that explains how the project advances the goals of the Prize, a summary of the project budget, and the names/positions of project members.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae of project member(s).
- Any additional information that supports the proposed project and its goals.