The McMahon-Pleiad Prize honors Trustee Emeritus John J. McMahon Jr. and recognizes his family’s contributions to The University of Alabama System and our state, including a generous gift that funds the prize. In years past, the McMahon-Pleiad Prize was awarded to fund proposed projects with a lasting and substantial impact on UA System institutions.
Starting in 2022, the prize of $75,000 will be awarded to a member of the faculty or staff at a UA System entity – UA, UAB, UAH, or UAB Medicine – who has already made significant contributions through teaching, research, and service in alignment with the UA System’s missions, values, and core principles. At least half of the funds should be used to further the recipient’s contributions through teaching, research, or service. The remainder may be used at the recipient’s discretion.
Further information on Trustee Emeritus McMahon and the legacy of the McMahon family’s leadership may be found in the resolution adopted by the Board of Trustees.
- The Selection Committee is comprised of the Chancellor, campus presidents, and the CEO of the UAB Health System (or their designees).
- The Committee will evaluate the applications in accordance with the terms of the Board Resolution establishing the Prize.
- Anticipated Timeline:
- November 4, 2022 – All applications received
- December 16, 2022 – Selection Committee chooses recipient and notifies applicants of the results
The deadline for applications is November 4, 2022. The application must include the following information:
- One-page nomination letter outlining the nominee’s contributions through teaching, research, or service to the UA System and explaining how those contributions align with the UA System’s mission, values, and core principles.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae of nominee.